ACT INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME (ACT DIR 50-7)
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR POSSIBLE INTERNSHIP 2020
DIVISION: Capability Development
BRANCH/SECTION: Programme Management Office
DETAILS OF PROJECT:
The selected intern will work in the Programme Management Office (PMO). PMO is a branch primarily within NATO Headquarters Supreme Allied Commander Transformation (HQ SACT) in Norfolk, VA, USA and with a small element within Mons, Belgium.
Derived from civilian Programme Management methods, NATOs military Capability Development is structured in projects, programmes and portfolios. The PMO serves as the central hub for Information and Knowledge Management within those structures and provides analysis, toolsets, processes, templates and actionable advice for the Programme stakeholders. It has also a distinctive supporting role in coordinating Capability Programmes in order to provide quality assurance processes through lifecycle. It therefore achieves standardization, transparency, information exchange and accountability.
The daily work requires analysis of short-term changes in the dynamic environment of NATO and their impact on capability development. Therefore, the ability to conduct systemic analysis and critical thinking is essential.
Under the guidance of your sponsor you will assist both civilian and military PMO Subject Matter Experts and your tasks will include:
- Acquiring knowledge of the NATO Capability Delivery process and the new governance model and contributing to their practical application.
- Support PMO staff in the execution of the “Information Hub” role across all Capability Development stakeholders.
- Participation in development and implementation of best practice of Programme and Project Management Standards in PMO focusing on Risk Management, Issue Management, Milestones, Stakeholder Analysis, Communication Plan, Change Management, Requirements Management, Monitor implementation, Quality Assurance.
- Involvement in improvement and updating of Programme and Project Management tools and techniques in PMO as a result of analyzing lessons learned from changes of requirements.
- Support of data preparation within PMO for decision makers in the management layer.
- Assistance in preparing and conducting Programme level briefings, workshops and meetings.
Monthly Status Report to PMO leader.
Report on assigned major project at the end of internship.
TYPE OF BACKGROUND/EDUCATION PREFERRED:
Current or recently graduated Post Graduate student in disciplines of engineering studies, management, politics and science.