ACT INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME (ACT DIR 50-7)
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR POSSIBLE INTERNSHIP 2020
BRANCH/SECTION: Analysis of Alternatives (AoA)
DETAILS OF PROJECT:
The Analysis of Alternatives Branch’s core function is to provide independent analysis on proposed solutions for meeting military requirements or shortfalls. They ensure that proper rationales, overall cohesion and rigorous justification are provided for proposed solutions, balancing the cost of options against their risk profile. The branch members are Operations Research professionals who specialize in applying structured analytical methods to provide evidence-based advice for better decision making.
An intern may be expected to work on the following:
- Essential Core Duties:
- Study design, data collection and analysis for Analysis of Alternatives projects
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Subject area research
- Additional Duties as Required:
- Report / document editing
- Note-taking and report writing for workshops and seminars within the HQ
- Website development and maintenance.
Deliverables will be tailored based on experience and skills of the selected intern.
The intern can expect to work within a small team to deliver AoA project outputs.
TYPE OF BACKGROUND/EDUCATION PREFERRED:
- Current or recently graduated Post Graduate student in operations research, mathematics, business, management, economics, public administration, public policy, social science, natural science, or similar disciplines
- Experience in planning and designing research projects, conducting data collection, analyzing quantitative / qualitative data, and presenting results
Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio
- A strong interest in military affairs
- Graduate level degree work in one of the above subjects
- Access database and Visual Basic programming skills; Knowledge of SPSS / PASW / Statistica or other statistical program
- Modeling and Simulation
- Military experience or previous work experience in defence institutions.