International Concept Development & Experimentation Conference
The International Concept Development and Experimentation (ICDE) Conference is NATO’s annual forum to provide a unique opportunity for the international concept development and experimentation community and stakeholders to discuss the most current issues of concept development and experimentation in the capability development process.
The 2019 International Concept Development and Experimentation Conference took place in Madrid, Spain, 29-31 October 2019. It was hosted by Supreme Allied Command Transformation.
- Champion Adaptation and Innovation through Concept Development & Experimentation work across the Alliance and Partner Nations
- Advocate and enable a federated approach to concept development and innovation across the Alliance and with Partner Nations.
- Engage with our partners; build relationships and trust, draw inspiration from our colleagues and promote a networked Concept Development & Experimentation environment that stimulates collaboration, information-sharing and mutual support.
- Identify and exploit common areas of interest, building communities that can innovate with purpose and coherence.
- Educate partners on Concept Development & Experimentation interests and processes; communicate Concept Development & Experimentation best practices and lessons learned for collective benefit.
- Through Workshops and Seminars, progress individual work strands and concepts.
The International Concept Development and Experimentation Conference 2019 was a 3-day event hosting high profile speakers:
- Rear Admiral John Tammen, Deputy Chief of Staff Strategis Plans and Policy, Allied Command Transformation;
- Mr. John Kao, Author and Strategic Advisor;
- Ms. Isabella Aguilera, Former Chief Executive Officer of Google and General Electric, Spain and Portugal;
- Brigadier General Philip Van Impe, Chairman of the Belgian Defence Platform for Leadership;
- Mr Julien Bourelle, Author and Cultural Expert;
in single events as well as in a panel discussion.
Furthermore, there were eight workshops on the agenda on the following topics:
- Military Capabilities for the Grey Zone Conflict;
- Future Leadership;
- Countering small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (C-sUAS) – Handbook refine experiment;
- Wargaming the Future;
- Military uses of Artificial Intelligence, Automation and Robotics;
- Enabling coherent deterrence;
- Artificial Intelligence in Education, Training, Exercise & Evaluation;
- Human Security.
The International Concept Development and Experimentation conference provided a great opportunity for information exchange and networking during these events and the Concept Development and Experimentation Exchange (Wednesday, October 30th).
2020 Conference Lead Planner:
Commander Paul Groestad
Concept Development, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, Allied Command Transformation
Phone: +1 (757) 747 3983
|International Concept Development
Experimentation Conference Fact Sheet
Experimentation Exchange Fact Sheet
The conference is focused at the Major General level and below, or the civilian equivalent. Attendance from the following fields, as applicable, are desired: Concept Development & Experimentation, Research and Development, Science and Technology, Doctrine Development, Military Transformation, Battle Laboratories, Centres of Excellence, Academia, the Defence Industry and Subject Matter Experts based on specific workshops/seminars. Attendees can be from a NATO nation/body, Partnership for Peace, Mediterranean Dialogue or Istanbul Cooperation Initiative nations, or from nations collaborating with the US Department of Defence.
Security Classification and Language:
The program content is not classified and is releasable to the public. It is presented and published in English; there are no translation services available during the conference.
Concept Development and Experimentation Handbook:
You can request an electronic copy of the Concept Development and Experimentation Handbook via ConceptDevelopment@act.nato.int, or if you have a TRANSNET account you can (request) access (to) the online version via https://cdh.transnet.act.nato.int/
International Concept Development & Experimentation Conference 2019 Photo Gallery: