The International Concept Development and Experimentation (ICDE) Conference is the annual forum of Supreme Allied Command Transformation and United States Joint Staffs’ to provide a unique opportunity for the international Concept Development and Experimentation community and stakeholders to discuss the most current issues of concept development and experimentation in the capability development process.
The 2018 International Concept Development and Experimentation Conference was held in Washington, D.C., United States of America, 30 October - 1 November, hosted by the United States Joint Staff Joint Force Development Directorate.
CD&E: Confronting the Challenge of a Disruptive Security Environment
- Champion Adaptation and Innovation through Concept Development & Experimentation work across the Alliance and Partner Nations
- Advocate and enable a federated approach to concept development and innovation across the Alliance and with Partner Nations.
- Engage with our partners; build relationships and trust, draw inspiration from our colleagues and promote a networked Concept Development & Experimentation environment that stimulates collaboration, information sharing and mutual support.
- Identify and exploit common areas of interest, building communities that can innovate with purpose and coherence.
- Educate partners on Concept Development & Experimentation interests and processes; communicate Concept Development & Experimentation best practices and lessons learned for collective benefit.
- Through Workshops and Seminars, progress individual workstrands and concepts.
The Conference was a 3-day event, delivering a mix of plenary sessions, engaging speakers, workshops and networking opportunities. For our Plenary sessions this year, General Paul Selva, Vice Chief of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (USA) gave a Keynote Speech. We will hear from experts in different fields of Autonomy; Paul Scharre, Dr Andrew Moore and Dr Ulrike Franke. These experts took part in a panel discussion to debate the issues that such technologies present for Defence. The panel was be moderated by Dr David Kilcullen, and our experts were joined by Vice-Admiral Paul Bennett, Chief of Staff, HQ SACT, and Bridadier General Derek Basinger, Director General Capability and Structure Integration for the Canadian Armed Forces. We also had a dynamic plenary address from Mr August Cole, futurist and author.
Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Transformation, Admiral Manfred Nielson, gave an Endnote address.
Please read about the proceedings in the Conference Executive Summary.
The Conference Synopsis provides a more detailed overview.
|International Concept Development
Experimentation Conference Fact Sheet
Experimentation Exchange Fact Sheet
The 2019 Conference will be held in Madrid, at the kind invitation of the Ministry of Defence of the Kingdom of Spain. Further details will be posted as they become available.
The conference is focused at the Major General level and below, or the civilian equivalent. Attendance from the following fields, as applicable, are desired: Concept Development & Experimentation, Research and Development, Science and Technology, Doctrine Development, Military Transformation, Battle Laboratories, Centres of Excellence, Academia, the Defence Industry and Subject Matter Experts based on specific workshops/seminars. Attendees can be from a NATO nation/body, Partnership for Peace, Mediterranean Dialogue or Istanbul Cooperation Initiative nations, or from nations partnering with the US Department of Defence.
Security Classification and Language:
The program content is not classified and is releasable to the public. It will be presented and published in English; there are no translation services available during the conference.
ACT Lead Planner
Major Salvatore Falcone
SO Concept Development
Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, HQ SACT
International Concept Development & Experimentation Conference 2018 Photo Gallery