International Concept Development & Experimentation Conference
The International Concept Development and Experimentation (ICDE) Conference is NATO’s annual forum to provide a unique opportunity for the international concept development and experimentation community and stakeholders to discuss the most current issues of concept development and experimentation in the capability development process.
The 2019 International Concept Development and Experimentation Conference takes place in Madrid, Spain, 29-31 October 2019. It is hosted by Supreme Allied Command Transformation.
- Champion Adaptation and Innovation through Concept Development & Experimentation work across the Alliance and Partner Nations
- Advocate and enable a federated approach to concept development and innovation across the Alliance and with Partner Nations.
- Engage with our partners; build relationships and trust, draw inspiration from our colleagues and promote a networked Concept Development & Experimentation environment that stimulates collaboration, information-sharing and mutual support.
- Identify and exploit common areas of interest, building communities that can innovate with purpose and coherence.
- Educate partners on Concept Development & Experimentation interests and processes; communicate Concept Development & Experimentation best practices and lessons learned for collective benefit.
- Through Workshops and Seminars, progress individual work strands and concepts.
The International Concept Development and Experimentation Conference is a 3-day event hosting high profile speakers:
- Rear Admiral John Tammen, Deputy Chief of Staff Strategis Plans and Policy, Allied Command Transformation;
- Mr. John Kao, Author and Strategic Advisor;
- Ms. Isabella Aguilera, Former Chief Executive Officer of Google and General Electric, Spain and Portugal;
- Brigadier General Philip Van Impe, Chairman of the Belgian Defence Platform for Leadership;
- Mr Julien Bourelle, Author and Cultural Expert;
in single events as well as in a panel discussion.
Furthermore, there are eight workshops on the agenda. Delegates can sign up for the following topics:
- Military Capabilities for the Grey Zone Conflict;
- Future Leadership;
- Countering small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (C-sUAS) – Handbook refine experiment;
- Wargaming the Future;
- Military uses of Artificial Intelligence, Automation and Robotics;
- Enabling coherent deterrence;
- Artificial Intelligence in Education, Training, Exercise & Evaluation;
- Human Security.
The International Concept Development and Experimentation conference will provide a great opportunity for information exchange and networking during these events and the Concept Development and Experimentation Exchange (Wednesday, October 30th).
More details will be released as soon as they are available.
Conference Coordinators and ACT Lead Planner:
Major Salvatore Falcone
Concept Development, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, Allied Command Transformation
Phone: +1 (757) 747 4054
|International Concept Development
Experimentation Conference Fact Sheet
Experimentation Exchange Fact Sheet
The conference is focused at the Major General level and below, or the civilian equivalent. Attendance from the following fields, as applicable, are desired: Concept Development & Experimentation, Research and Development, Science and Technology, Doctrine Development, Military Transformation, Battle Laboratories, Centres of Excellence, Academia, the Defence Industry and Subject Matter Experts based on specific workshops/seminars. Attendees can be from a NATO nation/body, Partnership for Peace, Mediterranean Dialogue or Istanbul Cooperation Initiative nations, or from nations collaborating with the US Department of Defence.
To register for the conference use https://cde.cnf.io or scan the QR-code on the right.
Security Classification and Language:
The program content is not classified and is releasable to the public. It will be presented and published in English; there are no translation services available during the conference.
2020 ICDE Conference:
The 2020 Conference location will be announced at the 2019 ICDE Conference. Further details will be posted as they become available.
International Concept Development & Experimentation Conference 2018 Photo Gallery: