NWCC Critical Enabler Right People Right Skills Online Workshop 2022
This online workshop is an effort for Human Capital Enhancement and Individual Training Branch, Joint Force Development to contribute to the NATO Warfighting Capstone Concept Right People Right Skills critical enabler.
Furthermore, we are conducting a survey in order to collect national inputs on the development of a Human Capital Enhancement Policy.
Following the publication of the NATO Warfighting Capstone Concept and the initial Warfighting Development Agenda, this Workshop will drive the implementation of the critical enabler Right People Right Skills by identifying future human capital requirements of NATO and discussing related education and training approaches within the nations. Ultimately, our aim is to enhance individual knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to adapt and improve our warfighters’ ability to work and succeed in the multi-domain environment of 2040. As NATO’s human capital largely depends on the Allies’ preparation and contribution, it is essential to discuss future requirements and existing training and education capabilities to ensure that NATO is able to develop at the speed of relevance.
Throughout the workshop, questions relating to the Human Capital Enhancement Policy and questions gathered from NATO Warfighting Capstone Concept/Warfighting Development Agenda working groups in relation to the future human capital requirements of the Warfighting Development Imperatives will be discussed in a chat forum format.
Overall, this workshop is an effort to engage a Human Capital Enhancement Community of Interest to discuss and collaborate on common human capital initiatives and programs necessary to strengthen the future readiness of the Alliance. We encourage participants (especially Subject Matter Experts on the Warfighting Development Imperatives topics from the Nations’ Education and Training Facilities and the War Colleges) willing to contribute to the workshop to read and research the Right People Right Skills questions in advance in order to be prepared to give in-depth feedback to help develop NATO’s thinking on future human capital requirements and potential education and training solutions.
The workshop will be held January 25 to 27, 14:00-17:00 pm GMT. During this timeframe, participants will be able to contribute to the questions in an online chat forum format and discuss their ideas with the present community of interest. Each day will focus on different Warfighting Development Imperatives, so it is also likely to have different Subject Matter Expert representation from each Nation. Nevertheless, feedback to all questions will be accepted on all days in case scheduling conflicts prevent participation on the respective ‘focus day’. The priorities of the days and hours will be as follows:
- January 25, 2022
- 14:00-17:00 GMT - Human Capital Enhancement Policy
- January 26, 2022
- 14:00-16:00 GMT - Cognitive Superiority
- 16:00-17:00 GMT - Influence and Power Projection
- January 27, 2022
- 14:00-15:00 GMT - Layered Resilience
- 15:00-16:00 GMT - Cross-Domain Command
- 16:00-17:00 GMT - Integrated Multi-Domain Defence
Registration / Points of Contact
All participants willing to attend the online chat workshop have to register using this link: https://cvent.me/baN5Vb. Registration deadline is January 14, 2022, 11:00 am EST.
The Point of Contact will send a final confirmation email to selected participants with login details. All subjects to discuss in this meeting are UNCLASSIFIED.
January 25, 2022, 14:00-17:00 GMT - Discussion of the outcomes of the Human Capital Enhancement Policy Survey:
- How do you define Human Capital in your Armed Forces? Please provide a recommendation for a NATO definition of “Human Capital”.
- How would you like to see ‘Human Capital Enhancement’ defined in NATO?
- Should NATO focus the Human Capital Enhancement Policy exclusively on evolving Human Capital Enhancement aspects of the work strands derived from the NATO Warfighting Capstone Concept?
- Do you have an identified National hub, structure, framework or similar (Ecosystem) to deal with Human Capital Enhancement requirements?
- Would your Armed Forces value NATO recommendations regarding Human Capital Enhancement aspects?
- How would you like to see us apply these practices in NATO bodies and in the Allies’ Armed Forces?
- What does talent management mean to you and how could it be applied in NATO considering the NATO Command Structure which includes civilians and temporarily assigned military personnel from Nations?
- How can we align national and NATO talent management strategies? Is this even feasible?
- What kind of Community of Interest would you suggest in order to share best practices as a foundation for the Human Capital Enhancement Policy? Who should be its members? How close should the collaboration between the Human Capital Enhancement Policy team and the Community of Interest be (e.g. what frequency, depth and form of communication)?
- Do you think your war colleges, military academies and national universities should contribute to the Community of Interest? If yes, in what way can you imagine a cooperation/contribution?
- Can you suggest any members from the open society (industry and academia) who could be helpful in this endeavour?
- Where do you see the connections between the Human Capital Enhancement Policy and the Human Capital Innovation Concept already developed by the International Staff - Human Resources Executive Management Division Team?
- What should be the scope of the Human Capital Enhancement Policy? What do you hope to gain from it? What uncertainties need to be clarified from your point of view?
January 26, 2022, 14:00-16:00 GMT - Cognitive Superiority
- When should we start training our Data Literate Workforce? As soon as people enter the military or does the preparation need to start throughout their civilian education and training?
- What type of knowledge, skills and experience should soldiers and/or civilians have in order to execute long term military strategic planning? What are the specific roles and contributions of soldiers and civilians respectively?
- Is there a formal process in your nation for executing long term military strategic planning? Consequently, do you have Subject Matter Experts and specific training and/or education tools for long term military strategic planning within your nation?
- What do you think of when the term “Cognitive Warfighting Effects” is mentioned? Do you believe this should be an advanced topic of exploration in national military communities?
- What kind of education and training do you think is necessary to prepare NATO and the Allies’ for Cognitive Effects?
- Is the human mind a warfighting domain? Should it be formally established as a new domain?
January 26, 2022, 16:00-17:00 GMT - Influence and Power Projection
- What does multi-domain escalation management mean to you? How would you define it and to what extend do you practice it?
- What does your nation already have in place or planned in terms of (multi-domain) escalation management education and training?
- Do you think multi-domain escalation management education and training should be for strategic leadership only or include operational and tactical leadership as well?
January 27, 2022, 14:00-15:00 GMT - Layered Resilience
- How will NATO endure the information warfare? Does your nation have resilience education and training practices to prepare for information warfare?
- How can we establish resilient education and training processes to continue to develop our staff in times of crisis (e.g. COVID-19)?
January 27, 2022, 15:00-16:00 GMT - Cross-Domain Command
- Do you conduct (multi-domain) wargaming in your nation’s military? If so, can you describe wargaming in your nation? If you do not conduct wargaming, what would you like to learn about wargaming (in a multi-domain environment)?
- How do you prepare your partıcıpants for wargames? Do you have specific education and/or training for it?
- Is losing a wargame an option? To what extent can you critically assess the weaknesses of an operation (considering hierarchical constraints in the military and the need to save face)?
- What are the changes needed in education and/or training in order to prepare for Cross Domain Command challenges in terms of information sharing and collaboration? What is the impact of Cross Domain Command on national Education and/or Training in particular? Do different military academies (Land/Naval/Air) need to merge?
- What will be the understanding of future multi-domain warfighters and cross-domain leaders in all domains? Do you have a definition or a concept of this?
January 27, 2022, 16:00-17:00 GMT - Integrated Multi-Domain Defence
- How can you educate and train your staff to understand and operate in the multi-domain picture (red/blue/white)? Do you have specific education and training practices?
- What kind of domains do you consider in your education and training system? And how do you encourage and promote collaboration between Subject Matter Experts from different domains?
- Do you have a space command within your military? Do you have trainings concerning the space domain?