The Headquarters Supreme Allied Commander Transformation and the Science and Technology Organization will join in organising the 11th NATO Operations Research and Analysis (OR&A) Conference on the 2nd-3rd of October 2017, hosted by the UK Ministry of Defence in Kensington, London.
As part of the continuous development of a NATO OR&A Community of Interest, the event builds on previous conferences and workshops, bringing together the analysis community from NATO commands and agencies, national defence analysis and research organisations, centres of excellence, academia, and industry. It is our goal to provide an exciting program with plenty of opportunities for discussion and debate.
This year’s conference will be centred around the theme: Enabling Accelerated Decision Making, with presentations focused on three streams:
- Emerging technology: The impact of big data analytics, data visualization, cognitive computing, machine learning, artificial intelligence, open source tools, etc. on the speed and quality of military decision support.
- Multi-methodology: Reaching better answers by combining methods.
- Back of the envelope: Achievements and limitations of on-the-fly OR&A.
The conference will also have two new features:
- Hands-on training workshops on Social Network Analysis and on Collaborative Problem Structuring, where participants will get acquainted with new methods and learn how to apply them to example problems.
- Enlightment sessions with the opportunity for face-to-face interaction in small groups with senior decision makers and practitioners, where participants will gain valuable advice on OR&A in a NATO and defence context.
A detailed conference agenda will be released at a later date.
With this article we seek your interest to attend, and invite potential attendees to consider presenting at the conference. Proposed contributions should adhere to the conference theme, be of interest to the OR&A community, possibly displaying study results or discussing appropriate tools, techniques and training.
Registration is now open at https://events.sto.nato.int/ and closes on the 15th September 2017.