The International Concept Development and Experimentation (ICDE) Conference is the annual forum of Supreme Allied Command Transformation and US Joint Staffs’ to provide a unique opportunity for the international Concept Development and Experimentation community and stakeholders to discuss the most current issues of concept development and experimentation in the capability development process.
The National host for 2017 ICDE Conference will be the UK Development Concepts and Doctrine Centre.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Dates: October 2017
Theme: Maintaining Advantage in an Era of Global Challenges
- Champion Adaptation and Innovation through CD&E work across the Alliance and Partner Nations
- Advocate and enable a federated approach to concept development and innovation across the Alliance and with Partner Nations.
- Engage with our partners; build relationships and trust, draw inspiration from our colleagues and promote a networked CD&E environment that stimulates collaboration, information sharing and mutual support.
- Identify and exploit common areas of interest, building communities that can innovate with purpose and coherence.
- Educate partners on CD&E interests and processes; communicate CD&E best practices and lessons learned for collective benefit.
- Through Workshops and Seminars, progress individual workstrands and concepts.
A detailed agenda is available on the Conference App – available here. For access, please see the registration section below.
Key events are:
- ‘Innovation Perspectives’ – presentations from a cross-section of organisations on the challenges of Innovation. Guest speakers include Mr Vincent Graf from the International Committee of the Red Cross, Mr Chris O’Keefe, Design Thinking Expert, and Mr Marcel Yon of the Bundeswehr Cyber Innovation Hub.
- ‘Go Innovate…?’ – a dynamic discussion. Moderated by Sir David Capewell, the panel members are: Admiral Manfred Nielson, Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Transformation, General Sir Chris Deverell, Commander Joint Forces Command, United Kingdom, Major General Thomas Deale, United States Joint Staffs Vice Director J7 (Pentagon), and Professor Sir Lawrence Freedman, Kings College London.
- Keynote - our keynote speaker will be General Sir Chris Deverell, KCB MBE ADC Gen, Commander Joint Forces Command, United Kingdom.
- Workshops - the conference will host 4 workshops:
- C2 and the Future of Headquarters led by the UK's Development Concepts and Doctrine Centre.
- Disruptive Technologies: Influencing the Conduct of War led by Headquarters, Supreme Allied Command Transformation.
- Integration of Lethal and Non-Lethal Actions led by the Multinational Capability Development Campaign.
- “Hit Them Where it Hurts”: Uncomfortable Futures and Avoiding ‘Groupthink led by the US Joint Staff J7, Joint Concepts Division.
Dynamic Speaker – Dr Robert Johnson, Director of the Changing Character of War Centre, University of Oxford.
CD&E Exchange – at the end of Day 2, the Conference will host a ‘mini-expo’ of CD&E initiatives, with representation from across NATO ACT, the US Joint Staffs, UK MOD and the Centres of Excellence.
The conference is focused at the Major General level and below, or the civilian equivalent. Attendance from the following fields, as applicable, are desired: CD&E, Research and Development, Science and Technology, Doctrine Development, Military Transformation, Battle Laboratories, Centres of Excellence, Academia, the Defence Industry and Subject Matter Experts based on specific workshops/seminars. Attendees can be from a NATO nation/body, Partnership for Peace, Mediterranean Dialogue or Istanbul Cooperation Initiative nations, or from nations partnering with the US Department of Defence.
Security Classification and Language:
The program content is not classified and is releasable to the public. It will be presented and published in English; there are no translation services available during the conference.
Venue Details and Registration:
|Due to increased global security considerations,
the specific location and other Conference details will only be provided through the event web app.
Please click here to be redirected to the app's webpage.
Use the access request form provided therein, should you not have received the password via mail already.
ACT Lead Planner
Wing Commander Ruth Wilson
SO Capability Engineering & Innovation Division
Concept Development Branch
US Joint Staff J7 Lead Planner
Foreign Affairs Integration Officer
International Force Development Division